Saturday, March 7, 2015

Truth or Dare?

Last night, some friends invited me to join them at the Infinite Monkey Theorem and I was stoked!  I work for a company that serves their sparkling wine on tap, and now that I am a resident of Denver, it's been on my bucket list of places to visit.  This place is ridiculously cool.  As you make your way through the venue, you'll find yourself surrounded by smiling faces drinking all sorts of "adult grape juice".  I only tried their Sauvingnon Blanc, which I did enjoy, and a decorative bonus is that the bottle design is rad.  

(This is not the bottle design I mentioned, I just think their branding is delicious.)

So, this particular Friday, they had a jazz band and swing dancers offering up lessons.  Apparently, they also offer yoga classes for $20 (glass of wine included...score!!), and all sorts of other delightful events.  My friends and I march to the beat of our own drums, and although we enjoyed either watching or participating in the dancing, we eventually made our way back to the front room.  I just so happened to walk in on a game of Truth or Dare.  Oops.

These peeps of mine can be crazy.  Actually, we ARE crazy, but in the best kind of way.  I love them. So, when it came to be my turn, I chose truth.  "SO BORING", you might be saying...but c'mon.  Let me have a warm up round!  At this point we were daring each other to do the grocery cart dance move through then entire venue solo, or to sit alone and yell, "PENIS!!", as loud as possible across the room.  I wanted a warm up.  My question caught me by surprise.  "Do you like living in Denver?", she asked.  Gosh.  I really didn't know what to say.   I hadn't really thought about it.  I mean, I've only been in Denver for three months.  "Not yet.", I replied.

Don't get me wrong.  Denver is amazing, and I'm sure the rest of Colorado is too, and I know that I will love it in good time.  I've never seen a state show so much pride.  The only exception might be Washington, where I'm originally from.  The Seahawks winning the Superbowl in 2014 was life changing for us.  

#gohawks

But, I digress.  Back to Denver. 

Let me explain.  I have already uprooted myself once before.  Back in 2008, I moved to San Diego, CA.  Prior to that move, I had never lived more than two hours away from home.  It was a big deal, moving to California, and incredibly hard to feel settled.  I'll never forget my college sweetheart telling me to "do something".  Well, I certainly did!  The transition from Washington to California was brutal.  It took me three years to feel like I had built a home there, and three years after that, to feel like I was actually home.  I wasn't always the best version of myself there, I always knew I would leave at some point, and I made a lot of mistakes...but just when I had begun to fall in love with not only myself, but my life in So-Cal...BOOM!  Life happened. 

I had/have been work for an amazing Colorado based company, and my job offered to bring me here...to Denver, Colorado.  P-R-O-M-O-T-I-O-N!!  Woo!!  THIS move has been much easier, and I'm lucky to now be working with many of the people I have built relationships with over my last three years with this company.  But, relocation still isn't easy (no matter how many people you already know). and everyday I have to remember that it takes effort to maintain these friendships.  I didn't think I would miss San Diego as much as I do and I also didn't think I would be this lonely, especially when I'm surrounded with an amazing group of people that I have already known for years.  
But this is exactly where I am supposed to be right now.  And all of the moments in my life have lead me here.  I'm forever grateful for all the people here who, I'm sure, will make me FALL IN LOVE with Denver and Colorado in no time.  And I will certainly never forget all the people and memories that have brought me to this point.


Anyway, this post got a little too "Lifetime Movie Network" for me, because sob story this is not.  But life is about the journey and right now, I might be lonely sometimes, but I'm kicking some serious bootie!! I'm super thankful for my friends, near and far, new and old, and my amazing family.  Even an old flame has recently helped me see that all I have to do is open myself up to all the amazing things this life of mine has to offer.  I finally see what it means to be the person I want to be, and now I just need to let myself be loved and seen for the person I am.  

Warts and all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment